Whatever your excuse for NOT using social media, the numbers outweigh all of your arguments. Millions of people around the world are using LinkedIn, Twitter and Facebook. 50% of these users log in EVERY DAY! More than 24 hours of media is uploaded to You Tube every minute (that is not a typo!).
From blogs and podcasts to social networks, social media allows consumers to review, inform, extol complain and share information. Using word of mouth, each person has the ability to promote your product or service more effectively than you ever could. So how are you going to use social media successfully?
1. Be Real. This is a transparent world. If you aren’t honest, your cover will be blown quickly. And speak with a real voice, corporate speak doesn’t fly in this community.
2. Establish your business objectives– Are you hoping to increase sales? Use social media as a metric. It is quite easy to measure RSS subscriptions and page views.
3. Dialogue with your audience– Allow them to agree and challenge you. When they feel heard (even with critiques), they become more loyal.
4. Make your message consistent across all media– Your positioning is no longer limited to the printed word. Everything you say in social media should reflect your brand.
5. Identify the influencers in your sphere– Their word of mouth approval will catapult you forward.
6. Be realistic in your expectations– You don’t have a good deal of extra time and money to allocate. Start of modestly and be willing to adapt.
7. Have your audience and staff pick the content– They know best what they want to hear and what is being discussed.
8.Be flexible– Engaging with social media is a fluid process. Be open to using new portals and trying different topics.
Social media is reshaping the field of marketing. The power of it is unmatched. With PDAs, tablets and a dizzying array of new technology, access to social media is easier than picking up a newspaper and reading an ad. Your audience is using it to get their information. Will you meet them there?