I don’t know about you but I get around 200 emails a day that find their way into my inbox. And there are countless others that my spam filter picks up.
There’s no way I’m going to read each one in my inbox. And my guess is your customers and prospects are just like me. With so much competition and an attention span of a couple of seconds (yup you got it). It’s critical you get it right to get your message across. So here’s what you must do–
1. Write a SHORT, attention grabbing headline that sums up the email. To make sure it’s short enough send a draft to your inbox. How much of the subject line can you see? Is it intriguing?
2. Provide all the information in the body of the email. Click to a word document attachment and wait for it to load? I don’t think so!
3. Don’t include so many pictures or content that the message is slow to load.
4. Add a link for those recipients that are still there and want more information.
5. Limit the number of times you talk to your audience. Ask them how often they want to hear from you… they’ll let you know! There is no standard answer to the timing. It really varies by company.
6. WIIFM? The best way to get your readers to open your email is if it offers some benefit they desire.
Good luck. I’d love to hear your success stories…